Apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence
All hackney carriage vehicles operating in the Wokingham Borough must hold a Wokingham hackney carriage vehicle proprietor’s licence. Hackney carriages can pick up passengers on the street and at designated taxi ranks without a prior booking. You must hold a hackney carriage drivers licence to drive a hackney carriage vehicle.
Hackney carriages are the subject of licensing rules, regulations and conditions to ensure they are fit for purpose.
To apply for a licence please submit a completed application form with:
• V5C registration document (a bill of sale is required for new vehicle applications)
• an insurance certificate which must show appropriate public hire/hackney carriage cover
• MOT certificate
• certificate of fitness issued by an authorised Wokingham garage
• a meter certificate showing the meter has been calibrated by an approved Wokingham meter agent
• all vehicles that are designed to accommodate wheelchair users must have all modifications and adaptations, including all seats, seat belts and anchorages, retested to meet either the European Whole Vehicle Type Approval or the UK Low Volume Type Approval in the M1 category (evidence of this must be produced). Those vehicles which have not been “type approved” to the M1 category (e.g. conversions) must be presented with approved certification that the specific vehicle meets the requirements of that category. It is recommended that prior to purchasing any new vehicle, advice be sought from the Licensing team.
Completed application forms should be sent, with the supporting documents and fee, to:
Licensing Team, Public Protection Partnership, Wokingham Borough Council, Shute End, Wokingham, RG40 1WW or scanned and emailed to: Licensing@wokingham.gov.uk
Please view the current licensing Fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.
To pay by debit/credit card please use the dedicated payment line number 0330 131 9742 and then select Option 2. If paying by cheque please make payable to West Berkshire Council and post to the address above.
Town Police Clauses Act 1847 (the 1847 Act)
Part ll Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 (the 1976 Act)
Road Traffic Act 1988 Part11 (a) Construction and Use of Vehicles and Equipment
Motor Vehicles (Tests) Regulations 1981
The Equality Act 2010 (sections 168 - 171 for the carriage of guide dogs etc)