We check food businesses
We check food businesses to ensure they follow food hygiene law and serve food that is safe to eat. A rating is given to businesses to show how well they are doing overall based on hygiene standards found at the time of an inspection.
The rating given is on a scale
• 5 is top of the scale. This means the hygiene standards are very good.
• 0 is at the bottom of the scale. This means urgent improvement is necessary.
Ratings can be found online and on stickers which are displayed by the business.
Following the issue of a rating
Following the issue of a rating a business has a right to:
• reply and have information published online
• appeal if the rating is considered wrong or unfair and
• request a new rating by applying for a revisit.
For further help and advice please see the documents in Associated documents below.
Requests for inspection documents
These can be made and will be handled and processed with due regard to Freedom of Information and Data Protection legislation.