Apply for the grant or renewal of a licence to use a private hire vehicle
Private hire vehicles are the subject of licensing rules, regulations and conditions to ensure they are fit for purpose. To apply for a licence please submit a completed application form with:
• V5C registration document (a bill of sale is required for new vehicle applications)
• an insurance certificate which must show appropriate private hire cover.
• MOT certificate (if required see below)
• certificate of fitness issued by an authorised West Berkshire garage and
• if the vehicle is fitted with a meter a meter certificate must be provided, showing the meter has been calibrated by an approved West Berkshire meter agent.
- vehicles less than three years old do not require a MOT
- vehicles between the ages of three years up to six years old must have a valid MOT
- vehicles between the ages of six years to eight years old must have a valid MOT less than six months old and
- vehicles over the age of eight years old must have a valid MOT less than four months old.
Completed application forms
Completed application forms should be sent, with the supporting documents and fee, to:
Licensing, Council Offices, Market St, Newbury, RG14 5LD or scanned and emailed to:
Please view the current licensing Fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.