Apply for the grant or renewal of a licence to use a private hire vehicle
Private hire vehicles are the subject of licensing rules, regulations and conditions to ensure they are fit for purpose. To apply for a licence please submit a completed application form with:
• V5C registration document (a bill of sale is required for new vehicle applications)
• an insurance certificate which must show appropriate private hire cover.
• MOT certificate (if required see below)
• certificate of fitness issued by an authorised West Berkshire garage and
• if the vehicle is fitted with a meter a meter certificate must be provided, showing the meter has been calibrated by an approved West Berkshire meter agent.
- vehicles less than three years old do not require a MOT
- vehicles between the ages of three years up to six years old must have a valid MOT
- vehicles between the ages of six years to eight years old must have a valid MOT less than six months old and
- vehicles over the age of eight years old must have a valid MOT less than four months old.
Completed application forms
Completed application forms should be sent, with the supporting documents and fee, to:
Licensing, Council Offices, Market St, Newbury, RG14 5LD or scanned and emailed to:
Please view the current licensing Fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.
To pay by debit/credit card please use the dedicated payment line number 0330 131 9742 and then select Option 2. If paying by cheque please make payable to West Berkshire Council and post to the address above.