Apply for a dual driver or a private hire driver's licence
We issue either a single dual licence for drivers, which allows them to drive either a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle, or a private hire driver’s licence to drive only private hire vehicles.
Applicants must have held a valid driving licence for a minimum period of 12 months. Before a driver licence can be issued the following checks will be carried out to determine if you are a 'fit and proper' person to be issued with a licence:
- group 2 medical - with your GP or with Occupational Health
- two character references
- practical driving assessment
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- West Berkshire Council Knowledge Test
- proof of eligibility to work in the UK
- safeguarding training - see below
- disability training - see below
An authenticated certificate of good conduct should be obtained by applicants who have not been resident in the United Kingdom for the previous five years. You must obtain this from your appropriate embassy and this must be provided in English, from the age of 16 years old. Further details of how to obtain this certificate may be found here.
Online Disclosure and Barring Service check
You can complete our online DBS application here.
Please click on the Orange box
Organisation Reference: WBCLICENSING
Organisation Code: DBS2017
Once you have completed the online application form the next step is for us to verify your ID against your DBS application.
Three forms of identity (ID), (one has to be photo ID), must be brought in with your completed driver application form. Required documentation detailed below:
• DVLA driving licence – full driving licence – card or paper version
• your driving licence information which has replaced the counterpart driving licence (this must be printed out from here)
• proof of address (such as a bank statement or a utility bill less than three months old)
• proof of eligibility to work in the UK – passport or UK birth certificate
• one photograph or
• certificate of good conduct from your embassy (if necessary).
Note all documents must be presented in person and no copies of documents will be accepted. Once you have submitted your application we will advise how to book the disability and safeguarding training. Please call 01635 519184 to arrange an appointment to bring in your documents.
Disability Awareness Training https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/virtual-disability-awareness-training-classroom-course-tickets-112798591624