The Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013
Anyone wishing to run a scrap metal dealer or motor salvage business must have a licence.
A person carries on a business as a scrap metal dealer if they:
- carry on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal, whether or not the metal is sold in the form in which it was bought, or
- carry on a business as a motor salvage operator.
Scrap metal includes:
- any old, waste or discarded metal or metallic material, and
- any product, article or assembly which is made from or contains metal and is broken, worn out or regarded by its last holder as having reached the end of its useful life.
There are two types of licence, one for a site and the other for a mobile collector:
- a scrap metal dealer collector's licence permits the licence holder to collect commercial and domestic scrap metal or
- a scrap metal dealer site licence permits the licence holder to operate as a scrap metal dealer from the site, including transporting scrap metal to and from the site, from any council area.
A scrap metal dealer is only permitted to hold one type of licence in any one local authority area.
Site(s) established after 1990 are required to have planning permission.
If you store or process metal at your site you may also need an environmental permit. Check if you need a permit on GOV.UK.
Suitability of applicant
- The application will be subject to consultation with other agencies such as the Environment Agency or Thames Valley Police and assessments made as to the suitability of the applicant.
- All applicants will be asked to provide a Basic Disclosure Certificate (no more than three months old) with their application form.
- Apply for a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to get a copy of your criminal record from GOV.UK.
Applications forms can be downloaded from Associated documents below. Completed application forms and enclosures must be made with the appropriate fee to the relevant council:
West Berkshire: by post to Licensing, Council Offices, Market St, Newbury, RG14 5LD or scanned and emailed to Licensing@westberks.gov.uk
Wokingham Borough: by post to Licensing Team, Wokingham Borough Council, Shute End, Wokingham, RG40 1WW or scanned and emailed to Licensing@wokingham.gov.uk
For Wokingham and West Berkshire applications, to make a payment by card please use the dedicated payment line number 0330 131 9742 and then select Option 2. If paying by cheque please make payable to West Berks Council.
For Bracknell applications if you are paying by cheque please make your cheque payable to West Berks Council and post it to Applications Team, Public Protection Partnership, Time Square, Market Street, Bracknell, RG12 1JD
Each licence will be valid for three years from the date of issue. The Environment Agency hosts a public register for scrap metal dealers who are licensed by their local authority.
Any applicant who is refused a licence or wants to appeal against a condition attached to the licence can appeal to the Magistrate's Court within 21 days of notice of the decision.