A shared service delivering Environmental Health, Licensing and Trading Standards across Bracknell Forest Council and West Berkshire Council

Facebook     Twitter

Health and safety

How to report concerns

If you are an employee, a representative, or a member of the public and you are concerned about any aspect of health and safety, at a place of work you should at first always attempt to resolve the matter with the employer, or the person in control of the premises, or a union or employee representative.

If the matter remains unresolved you can contact us and make a service request, but before doing so you should check we are the right people to contact as there are a number of organisations that deal with health and safety. In certain circumstances it may be necessary to refer you to another organisation.

How to report incidents, accidents and diseases

If you are an employer or a person in control of a premises, you must report the work-related death of any person, specified injuries to workers, an over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker and non-fatal accidents to non-workers (such as members of the public), whereby that person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury.

You must also report dangerous occurrences, which are specified near-miss events.

Certain diagnosed occupational diseases are also reportable.

Notification of these matters is a requirement of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.

All incidents, accidents and diseases can be reported to the RIDDOR online database through completion of the appropriate form. 

An incident contact centre telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal/specified, and major incidents only.  Calls are received Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm, on 0345 300 9923.

Please note that it is not appropriate for injured persons, members of the public or others to use this reporting system.

To find out more about reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

How to report  an evaporative cooling system

All properties where cooling towers and evaporative condensers are located must register under the requirements of the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992.

The purpose of this is to identify areas that could give rise to the spread of infectious diseases (e.g. Legionnaires' disease) and to make sure that preventative maintenance measures are being taken.

You can notify an evaporative cooling system online here.

If previously notified details are no longer up-to-date changes must be notified.
We maintain a public register of evaporative cooling systems.


The Public Protection Partnership is not responsible for identifying asbestos, potential asbestos. 

HSE (health and safety executive) are responsible for this. 

See link in associated links below. 

Associated links

Woman driving a forklift truck
West Berkshire