A shared service delivering Environmental Health, Licensing and Trading Standards across Bracknell Forest Council and West Berkshire Council

Facebook     Twitter


The Gambling Act

There are three types of licence required by the Gambling Act 2005:

  • premises licence - required to operate a gambling premises
  • operator licence - concerned with the management and conduct of gambling and
  • personal licence - for persons with key operational functions connected with the gambling business.

To operate a gambling business, you must first apply for an operator licence and any relevant personal licences from the Gambling Commission. You can then apply to the local authority for a premises licence.

Licensing objectives

There are three licensing objectives that underpin the Act and all applications must ensure the objectives are upheld, these are:

  • preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder, or being used to support crime
  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way and
  • protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Gambling permits

The licensing authority also issue gambling permits for various gaming activities:

• club machine permits
• club gaming permits
• alcohol licensed premises gaming and gaming machine permits
• family entertainment centre gaming machine permits
• prize gaming permits and
• temporary and occasional use notices.


The Act also allows the licensing authority to register small society lotteries.

West Berkshire