A shared service delivering Environmental Health, Licensing and Trading Standards across Bracknell Forest Council and West Berkshire Council

Facebook     Twitter

Alcohol and entertainment

The Licensing Act 2003

Licensing Act 2003. You need a premises licence or a permitted Temporary Event Notice (TEN) from your local authority for the following licensable activities at any premises:

Sale or supply of alcohol

The sale by retail of alcohol and the supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club are both licensable activities.

Provision of late-night refreshment 

A person provides late night refreshment if at any time between 11pm and 5am supplies hot food or drink to members of the public on or from any premises, whether for consumption on or off the premises.

Provision of regulated entertainment:

  • a performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance and
  • entertainment of a similar description to a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music or a performance of dance.

Premises is defined as:

Any place and includes a vehicle, vessel or moveable structure.

This licence will allow the licence holder to use the premises to which it relates for licensable activities.


The following do not need a premises licence:

• trains and airplanes on a journey
• films in museums
• religious services
• garden fetes
• film exhibitions for the purpose of advertising or education
• crown premises occupied by armed forces
• music incidental to other activities and
• live TV and radio broadcasts


We encourage all new applicants to contact their local authority before submitting an application. You can also find further information in our applicant guidance, our statement of licensing policy and on GOV.UK - alcohol licensing.

De-Regulation Act 2015

What activities no longer require a licence?  See link below for details. 

Entertainment Licensing - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Promotion of the licensing objectives

All licence applications must comply with four licensing objectives including:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm


If you wish to make a complaint about a licence holder, a licensed premises or a premises which is providing licensable activities without a licence, contact the relevant licensing authority. 

You will need to provide your contact details and a description of the nature of the problem, including details of dates and times the problem has occurred.  Your details will be kept confidential.

Bracknell Forest Council: To report a problem, or make a query to Bracknell Forest Council contact licensing@Bracknell-Forest.gov.uk

West Berkshire Council: Licensing@westberks.gov.uk

If you have concerns about crime and disorder at a premises contact your local police on 111 or dial 999 in the case of an emergency.




Associated links

Associated documents

West Berkshire