PPP Logo

Facebook     Twitter

Sex shop and adult cinema

Contact your council for a licence if you want to run a sex shop or adult cinema. You may need a licence to run a sex shop (any premises selling sex toys, books or videos) or a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public.


An applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK and
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

To apply

  • Contact the licensing authority for the area your business will operate in for an application form, an application fee will apply.
  • Once you have applied for a licence you must publish an advert about your application in a local newspaper and display a notice about your application in or near your premises for 21 days.
  • You must also send a copy of your application to the local police.

Bracknell Forest: apply on line at GOV.UK 

West Berkshire: Licensing@westberks.gov.uk


Bracknell Forest
West Berkshire