Contact your council for a licence if you want to run a sex shop or adult cinema. You may need a licence to run a sex shop (any premises selling sex toys, books or videos) or a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public.
- must be at least 18 years old
- must not be disqualified from holding a licence
- must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK and
- must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.
- Contact the Licensing team (see emails below) for the area your business will operate in for an application form, an application fee will apply.
- Once you have applied for a licence you must publish an advert about your application in a local newspaper and display a notice about your application in or near your premises for 21 days.
- You must also send a copy of your application to the local police.
Sex establishments are banned in some areas - check with your council before applying:
West Berkshire: Licensing@westberks.gov.uk
Wokingham Borough: Licensing@wokingham.gov.uk
Bracknell Forest: Licensing@bracknell-forest.gov.uk